Thursday, February 4, 2010

More pictures of Mitty Moo and a description of my experience with natural childbirth:

This girl sleeps constantly!!!




But I sneaked a couple of shots with her eyes open.





This doesn't happen very often.





This is what she usually looks like. Feeding her is VERY hard cuz she falls asleep constantly!




Russell the Muscle holding Calamity Amity. What a pair!!




And here we go again!

Sooo...Amity is the sweetest little thing. She is such a great eater...except for the whole falling asleep during feeding time thing.

We love her so much. She looks so much like Russell, although she was quite a bit bigger than him! He was only 6 pounds 8 ounces and she was 7 pounds 12.8 ounces. So she is definitely filled out a lot more.


As for me, I am doing well. I HAD HER NATURALLY WITH NO EPIDERAL OR PAIN KILLERS. (Well, they did give me an IV with something in it when I first got to the hospital, but it only made me sleepy but didn't do anything for the pain and so we let it wear off, which only took an hour.)

I was in labor for 26 hours and let me just say...OUCH!!! But the WORST was at the end when I had to push. OUCH OUCH OUCH!!!!

Now, many people have asked me the WHY question. Why did I want to do it naturally?

Reasons:

- My doctor was pretty adament that it is better for the baby, although I'm not sure that the difference is super significant. ????
- I wanted to prove to myself that I was tough enough.
- I wanted to prove to my whole family that I was tough enough.
- I wanted to have bragging rights about it for the rest of my life.
- I wanted to put Travis through a lot of extra stress and pressure. (hee hee)
- I wanted to feel a kinship with all of my foremothers from generations past and know what they went through.

But I have to tell you...I almost lost it. It is just soooo easy to say, "Okay! That's it! Just take the pain away!!!" In fact, just ask Travis. I was begging for pain killers, but my doctor kept pep talking me into waiting it out and kept saying that I was over the worst of it. Pretty soon I was pushing and it was definitely too late.

So there was a lot of screaming and yelling. And I was definitely making snappy and rude comments to the doctor. And I also took one hard swing in Travis's general direction, but hit the control panel on my bed instead. (That spooked the nurses a little.)

I NEVER would have made it without the encouragment of my doctor and Travis AND all of the massages they gave me.

So in the end, I am really glad that I made it...but I'm really not sure that I would ever do it again. Maybe if my future labors are a LOT shorter cuz half the problem at the end was that I was just sooooo tired from such a long day without sleep that I thought I would never get that girl out!!

So anyway...that was my el naturel experience. And my family, I'm sure, will be hearing a lot of bragging about it for the rest of our lives! HA!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

THE MOULTON's FOM LANDER SAY: CUTE!!!! Really like the picture of Russell and Amity. She has a great tan! And Ashley, you are my hero. 26 hours of labor: Wow! You had to prove me wrong when I said the next baby's labor would be shorter. BUT, look at the end product. She is so special! Can't wait to see you!
Maybe Amity is too warm when you feed her. She does look cozy!
Take care. Love and Hugs! Jolene/aka Mom; Dad/aka Bob and Hayley aka Hayley

Katie said...

You are one tough woman! You definitely earned all of the bragging rights!!

Mary said...

You definitely summed up natural childbirth. Pushing is no joke. I was screaming like a lunatic.

But, good for you! Amity is totally adorable.

yettie/jessie said...

way to go you i am so proud of you i am going to try and do it naturaly for our third one day for exactly those same reasons and she is way cute hope all is well your a champ

Saimi said...

You are WOMAN!! Way to go girl, besides look at all the money you saved by not doing the drugs! Not only do you get the bragging rights, but extra money to spend on
YOU!!

Emily said...

we should start a club! It would be kinda like The Supermodels of America Club that we were apart of in high school, but more painful.

Sister Savanah Jo Ward said...

So, Kadyn was quick to notice that none of your reasons for El Natural included the health of the child. It is an interesting point.....

Anyway, she is soooo cute! Love the cheeks! Mine never look like that! (My babies, I mean, we're not gonna discuss my chubby cheeks-either set!)

Can't wait to see ya'll!

Anonymous said...

Hey Ashley...long time! your family is adorable...congrats on going natural.. I had both my girls natural and it was the most amazing experience. If you do want to go natural again, try HypnoBirthing. Thats what i did and it was awesome! It teaches relaxation techniques with imagery and deep breathing. Congrats again!

Logan said...

Can't wait to see the little tike! What a cutey patoody. Russ looks like he's loving having a little sis...

Darren & Kenna said...

Ouch! and Congratulations! She's adorable.

Elayna said...

What a Beautiful Girl! I totally agree with the previous comment about HypnoBirthing. That is what I did with Izy and it was such a great experience.

Congratulations!!