Friday, August 13, 2010

We love you, Great-Grandpa Ward!!!!



A sad thing happened on August 1st. My grandpa Ward passed away. I lived a couple of miles from them all growing up. It's been pretty hard. We all really miss him. It was especially hard visiting Grandma at the house the other day with him not there. His hats and work coats and overalls were still hung up all over the garage. His tools were all sitting unused in the shop. It almost seemed if I should be able to walk in and see him there.

But I know that it was right. He had a stroke a few months ago, and his health had been deteriorating since then. I will say that he lived a very full life. It's not like he has been laid up for years. I'm sure that is how he wanted it to be.

It has been hitting me lately that there are not many men like Grandpa left. He was a farming man. A very hard-working, don't come in till dark, farming man with wiry muscles and strong hands, not from lifting weights. Just from working hard on the farm. Those are the kind of men that I was surrounded by as I grew up. A lot of the men that you see around today just don't measure up.

Favorite Memories:

Grandpa used to tease us by letting us stick our fingers near his mouth so he could growl and try to bite them. He also used to get a kick out of our squealing when he made his teeth fall out.

When he sealed Travis and I, he was so sweet and emotional. I often saw him tear up the last few years. He was very close to the spirit.

Till we meet again, Grandpa!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Lander Moulton's SAID:
What a wonderful tribute to your grandfather Ashley....and a beautiful 3 generation picture with Russ, you and your grandparents.
May your heart heal as you share memories with your family and friends. Love you!